DR Mark Daniell
MS, FRACS, FRANZCO
Professor Mark Daniell is a senior consultant ophthalmic surgeon heading the corneal service at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital. With subspecialty interests in corneal disease, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy and cataracts. He also performs aviation medical ophthalmic examinations (CASA).
He has been the president of The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO).
He is the head of (CERA’S) corneal research. He is working to develop a tissue-engineered cornea.
Prof Daniell has been an active clinician/researcher in the field of corneal tissue engineering and cell therapy, as well as clinical eye research. He has been a key contributor to original research papers and reviews.
Prof Daniell has published over 92 papers in peer reviewed literature. He has given the Coster lecture and RANZCO Council lecture in 2015. Over his career he has been invited to speak at many meetings including Asia ARVO, APAO, ANZ Cornea meeting, RANZCO Annual Conference as well as at invited seminars at RMH, University of Melbourne, NSW Stem Cell network and Harbin Medical University China.
Prof Daniell has a significant research interest in a bioengineered cornea, developing the concepts for this project and being the driving force gathering together the collaboration partners. He has had successful collaborations with numerous groups both nationally and internationally including an ongoing project with Prof Greg Qiao at Melbourne University and Prof Damien Harkin at QUT on tissue engineering for the eye. He has supervised several postgraduate students in the field of tissue engineering.
He is an honorary Professor at Harbin University in China and regularly visits LV Prasad in Hyderabad.
He is the founder of the Keratoconus International Consortium.
Head of (CERA’S) corneal research.
• President RANZCO 2016-2018
• Chair of ORIA 2009-2014
• Founding Chair of ANZ Cornea Society
• Professor University of Melbourne, Head of Surgical Research at Centre For Eye Research Australia
• Head of Corneal Service, Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital
- Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (President 2016-2018)
- Australian and New Zealand Cornea Society (Inaugural Chair)
- Ophthalmic Research Institute of Australia (Past Chair)
- Council of Presidents of Medical Colleges (Executive member)
- International Council of Ophthalmology (Board member)
- Asia Pacific Academy of Ophthalmology (Council member)
• MBBS (1986)
• MS (1992)
• FRANZCO (1990)
• FRACS (1993)